Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This is the best cake recipe in the world, probably. My mom used to bring this to potlucks all the time (remember potlucks? Does anyone still have those?) and people would just devour it and then beg for the recipe and then THEY WOULD BRING IT TO THE POTLUCK NEXT WEEK. Isn't that CHEATING?
Anyhow. There IS zucchini in this, but it magically becomes deeelicious!

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 cups grated zucchini
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate and added more than that, since I like chocolate, and like the contrast between the dark chocolate of the cake and the sweet milk chocolate. But you can use whatever you like.)

Cream together butter, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Mix in zucchini and chocolate chips. Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan or a 9-by-13 greased pan at 325 for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

Magpie said...

I love potlucks. I need to have one.

bren j. said...

We have a church potluck on the 17th....only we're out of zucchini. Good thing you have a ton of other tasty recipes around here.

Anonymous said...

Jack and I are going to make this today. I have a giant zucchini on my table looking for an excuse to be cooked. :)
Thanks for the tip!